{ r e c e n t - t e l l i n g s }

Friday, April 29, 2011

Calling All Backyard Clotheslines

Telephone Pole Parts Turned Clothesline

I have been anxiously waiting for Spring and the warmer sunny days we will have so that I can take advantage of using my backyard clothesline for drying laundry. Not only does it save on electricity, but I love the fresh smell of air dried laundry.

Laundry is one of those mundane but necessary chores, and I think there is a certain romantic homey feel when there is laundry waving in the breeze on a sunny day.

Since I enjoy making things out of other things, when I happened upon parts and pieces of some old telephone poles I immediately envisioned a rustic clothes line in my backyard,

and TUH DUH...this is the result that has been serving me well.


If you'll notice there are a few of the spindles on top that are missing the glass insulators, and lucky for me I recently scored a bucket full during a treasure junkin' trip so now my mini-telephone pole/clothesline will be complete. I may just look forward to doing laundry, anything to get out in the fresh air and sunshine.



Do you have a creative clothesline, or way to air dry your laundry?
I would love to hear about it....



Happy Spring Finally...sort of...Have a great day!

~Teresa

4 comments:

  1. Totally clever and cute idea! Yes, I do have a clothes line and dry clothes even when the weather is below freezing but sun is out. Nothing like smelling clean clothes dried in the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing those sparkling insulators on old telephone poles. There aren't too many of them around anymore. I live in an older home and there's a telephone pole in my backyard that has three glass insulators on the pole's lower cross arm; two of them are aqua and the other one is clear. I think they look so pretty when the sun shines through them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed your great "rustic art" and have seen people do this before with clothesline designs. You might go to Google and type in: Song of the Open Wire" and you will see on the menu "Folk Art." If you would like to send me a photo of your line, I will post it with your by-line for credit. There are a lot of people who visit this site and would be impressed by your "improvisation" of old OW materials. And...yes, there's some information on the particular style of CS pins and insulators you used under "Insulators & Other Line Materials."

    openwire@earthlink.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished one for myself. I used black cotton rope. It turned out really nice. I used rust paint for the metal parts, real and fake. There’s a 3D printed squirrel and birds, also rusty. I wish I could share pictures of it.

    ReplyDelete